Family friendly motel. 28 rooms, consisting of 2 room suites, family rooms, singles, doubles, triples and 3 spa rooms. Continental breakfast included. Indoor heated swimming pool.
Our main building was built in 1911 and was called Carnarvon House by EW Priest, a police inspector who had a windfall in the lottery and came to Kingscote to fulfil his dream of building a tourist house. The original holding of 5 acres featured a planted park-like area, tennis court, formal garden at the front. A paddock to the rear housed the cow, chickens, pigs, and a vegetable garden. This kitchen garden supplied the household with fresh produce, including almonds and peaches.
In 1935 it was purchased by W.J. and R. Neighbour, who changed it’s name to Woodleigh House. During the war of 1939-1945 it was forbidden to travel outside South Australia so Kangaroo Island was the most exotic honeymoon destination for servicemen and their brides.
Woodleigh House accommodated many such couples who spent the days walking, swimming and fishing and the evenings playing cards and parlour games, dancing, singing and romancing.
The motel has undergone considerable alterations and name changes by several owners over the years.
BUSHFIRE UPDATE: Island Motel Kingscote is open for business. Book with them here.